Monday, September 9, 2024

David Gilmour: Luck And Strange

 

David Gilmour: Luck And Strange (2024)
I can't believe it's been so long (nine years!), but I'm finally hearing a new David Gilmour album, and I've gotta say, I'm liking it much more than "On An Island", and "Rattle That Lock". It's not that I didn't love those albums, but they lacked that certain power that I know David Gilmour for. 

The album kicks off with the short instrumental track, "Black Cat", a moody opening track that leads into the title cut. And the pure magic begins here. DG went back to some old sessions, and pulled out a performance from Pink Floyd (and frequent collaborator), Richard Wright. It sounds so good to have a performance from Wright again, and the tune is just fantastic. I got goosebumps playing it. The next track, "The Piper's Call" is another one that really shows the talent of David Gilmour. The track is heavy, and moody at times (would you want it any other way), with a fantastic guitar solo. This song is killer!

"A Single Spark" is a bit moody, and atmospheric, and almost feels like it would sit nicely on "The Division Bell". The vocal melody is just fantastic, and shows that David can still sing as well as he always could (at least in the studio). There's some really cool things going on in this song, and the keyboard performance is particularly cool, and of course that emotive guitar solo is phenomenal. Another great track. "Vita Brevis" is another short instrumental track, with some harp (?), some sweet sounding keys, and a quiet bit of guitar soundscape. Decent little track.

"Between Two Points" was released as a single, and features vocals from David's daughter, Romany (who has a beautiful voice). Musically it's a bit of a ballad, with acoustic guitar, some pretty orchestration, and another wonderful guitar solo. I will say that the tracks seems mixed a bit too loud, with some clipping, but otherwise it's a pretty good song. Not my favorite on the album, but I really enjoyed it. "Dark And Velvet Nights" starts heavy, and goes through a few peaks and valleys musically. This one is a very cool, hard rocking, bluesy track, and may end up one of my favorite tracks on the album. It definitely sounds like one hell of a jam, with a fantastic performance being turned in by every member of the band. Again, it feels like it could have been on "The Division Bell". 

"Sings" is a track that sounds like it could have been on one of the last two albums. At least to me it feels like it fits that same, moody atmosphere. It's a really cool track, even if it is a huge departure from the last track. Again, the vocals from David are phenomenal, and the keyboard work really makes the tune breathe. There's a sort of quiet interlude part here that I really enjoy as well. This one is a nice little tune. 

The album closes with "Scattered", and to say this one feels like a Pink Floyd song would be an understatement. To me, this tune evokes feelings of "Meddle" (particularly "Echoes", thanks to the keyboards), "Wish You Were Here", and "The Division Bell". This one may not be an all out rocker, but it may be my favorite track on the album. Musically, it's just so huge. There's a chaotic, musical interlude that gave me goosebumps. The tune ends off with what may be amongst David Gilmour's best guitar solos in his entire career, and a beautiful vocal outro. For my money, I wouldn't mind an entire album like this one track. What a great way to end one hell of a great album. I only hope David has another album in him, because this one is just phenomenal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rush: Test For Echo

  Rush: Test For Echo (1996) Way back in 1996, I was just starting my senior year of high school, when this album was released. How was that...