Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Rush: Test For Echo

 

Rush: Test For Echo (1996)
Way back in 1996, I was just starting my senior year of high school, when this album was released. How was that 28 years ago? The 16th studio album from my favorite band, Rush. Through the years, this album has taken its unfair share of criticism, but I for one have always loved it.

There was an album premiere on the radio, and I believe they played the entire album, with interviews from all three band members. I can remember listening to that broadcast, and loving everything that I heard. It was clear that this album was much more melodic, and less heavy than the previous album, "Counterparts" (my favorite Rush album). There is so much to love with this album, and Geddy sings some of my favorite vocal melodies of the band's career on this one (particularly with "The Color of Right", and "Totem"). 

For my money, there's not a single dud on this album. Oh sure, "Dog Years" has some silly lyrics, but I have always loved their charm. And I'll admit that it took me far too long to really warm up to "Time And Motion", but after some time I learned to love it as well. And I must mention "Carve Away the Stone" here, as it is such a wonderful, and sadly forgotten tune in the Rush catalog.

This one may be a far cry from their more popular stuff, but to me "Test For Echo" was yet another home run. It may not be looked on as one of the favorites to many fans, but for me it finishes well above a couple of those albums that often get namechecked as the best. But... that's just my opinion. Whatever your opinion was, pop this one in, and give it another play. Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy more than you thought you would.


I also really enjoy this Neil Peart instructional DVD, where he goes through the entire "Test For Echo" album. It's a fantastic watch from the late, great Neil Peart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rush: Test For Echo

  Rush: Test For Echo (1996) Way back in 1996, I was just starting my senior year of high school, when this album was released. How was that...