Monday, September 2, 2024

Rob's Discography Marathon: The Tragically Hip

 

The Tragically Hip (EP) - 1987
We start our Tragically Hip marathon with this fantastic EP from 1987. With only seven tracks to choose from, I can't find a single track that I don't love here. The music is a bit less polished than what the band's future albums would sound like, but this album is full of fantastic melodies, and music. 

The band all sound phenomenal, and Gord's vocals are as good as they ever were. Only "Highway Girl" would make the greatest hits compilation, but for my money, "Last American Exit" should have made that set. What a melodic beauty that tune is. 

This may not be my favorite release from The Hip, but it's undeniable that this was album was the framework for an amazing career. 

Up To Here - 1989
Released in 1989, "Up To Here" is the full-length debut from this legendary Canadian band. For now I only have the original CD release, but an expanded anniversary release is coming in November, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. 

Looking at the track list of this album is almost like looking at a greatest hits compilation. Nearly every track here is a pretty well known tune. From the album opening trio of, "Blow At High Dough" (a track with so many varied versions, thanks to the improvisational skills of front man Gord Downie), "I'll Believe In You (Or I'll Be Leaving You Tonight)", and "New Orleans Is Sinking", to "She Didn't Know", "Boots Or Hearts", and "Trickle Down", I've heard many live version of these fantastical songs. 

In addition to those well-loved tracks, the album also has such amazing songs as "Opiated", "38 Years Old", and "Another Midnight". In my opinion there isn't one dull song on this album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rush: Test For Echo

  Rush: Test For Echo (1996) Way back in 1996, I was just starting my senior year of high school, when this album was released. How was that...