Saturday, December 30, 2023

The Vaughn Brothers: Family Style

The Vaughn Brothers: Family Style

 Blues-rock is not a genre that I visit very often. It's not that I don't like it, I just have to be in the mood. Today, I decided to pull this disc out, which I've had for quite some time, but have never played. And though I enjoyed it for what it is, it just wasn't moving me the way I wanted it to. It was all pretty much expected. That's not to say there weren't some great moments, and killer tunes here. Also as expected, the guitar playing is top notch.

Of course you've heard of Stevie Ray Vaughn, but in case you've lived under a rock, he was one of the greatest blues guitarists of all time. His versatile playing, and chops were a sight to behold. And even though he is known for his blues playing, I'm sure the man could have played anything he wanted to. For this album, he teamed up with his older brother, Jimmie, and together they created an album that I find could stand next to any of the SRV album. 

There are some really great tunes here. I found myself really enjoying "Telephone Song", "DFW", and though the lyrics were a bit too cringe for me, "Good Texan" was pretty good too. I think the standout track on this one, for me, would have to be "Baboom/Mama Said", which is basically just a guitar jam, with very few lyrics. Album closer, "Brother", is also a damned good song, and one hell of a great way to close the album.

I didn't necessarily hear anything new and groundbreaking, but what I did hear was some damned find blues-rock, from a couple of brothers who clearly played very well together. It's just a shame that Stevie's life was cut so short, as I'm sure these two could have created some more amazing music together. And though I may not pull this album out a lot in the future, I know that the next time I do, I'll enjoy it, because it really is a fun disc, with more than its fair share of guitar riffs, and blues exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gene Simmons: The '78 Solo Album

Kiss: Gene Simmons I've never made it a secret about how I feel about Gene Simmons' '78 solo album. I've spent most of my li...