Sunday, June 23, 2024

Eloy: Ocean / Ocean 2: The Answer

 


Tonight I'm playing two of my very favorite Eloy albums.

The first "Ocean" album was what got me into the band. Released in 1977, the album is a concept album based on Plato's "Island of Atlantis". Musically, I think there is a lot of music here that could rival any of the better known prog material of the 70s. In my opinion, there's not one wasted moment during the albums 44 minutes (spread over four tracks).

"Ocean 2: The Answer" is obviously a follow up to the original album. Musically, the band had strayed a lot from the sounds of their 70s output, so obviously the vibe is different here, but I think they did a pretty great job following up the classic first album. Like the previous, the music here definitely deserves more attention than the band ever got.

Honestly, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any Eloy albums. Though they have gone through many changes, I can't fault any of their albums. That said, these two are my favorite. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rush: Test For Echo

  Rush: Test For Echo (1996) Way back in 1996, I was just starting my senior year of high school, when this album was released. How was that...