Monday, June 10, 2024

Rush: Test For Echo


Released in 1996, "Test For Echo" is the 16th studio album from Rush, and one of those that seemed to be overlooked the most. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this one get name checked nearly enough. To be honest, I don't understand why, as I find this to be a solid album from start to finish. 

This time around, it really seemed like the band decided to stick to a more melodically driven sound, and I think it really shows in songs like "Half the World", "The Color of Right", "Totem", "Dog Years", and "Resist". Even the songs with a little more punch, like "Driven", and "Time And Motion", are still very melodic in nature. 

The band's playing here is nothing short of phenomenal. Geddy plays some of the best bass moments of their career, especially in the song "Driven". Alex is trying some new things that I just love (check out the instrumental track, "Limbo"!). And Neil had finally sat down and took some drum lessons before recording the album, and it really shows. Okay, Neil has always been the world's best drummer, but you can definitely tell there are some changes to the way he plays here.

Overall, while this may not be my favorite Rush album, it's one that I come back to fairly often, as I love each and every track here. It was a time in my life, it was a place in my life, it was certainly a test for echo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Flower Kings: Stardust We Are

  "Stardust We Are" is the third studio album (fourth?) from prog-rock great, The Flower Kings. It is also their first double stud...